Using Primary School Songs As A Teaching Aid!
How School Songs for Kids Help Them Learn
Primary school forms a very important stage of a child’s development. As such it is important that teachers and parents do all they can to ensure that their children get the best out of this time so that they can develop to their full potential. One way that this can be encouraged is through using primary school songs as a teaching aid.
Songs for children can have a range of benefits and different ones can help with different things. Some may be a bit of fun and encourage participation while others can function as an active memory aid to help children retain information or learn by association.
Benefits of Primary School Songs
School songs for kids carry a wide range of benefits. They can help improve:
– Memory – learning songs contextualises things, so teaching a particular subject or fact through primary school songs is a great way to help children learn and remember things. Actively engaging children to sing about certain a topic is likely to encourage them to retain more information.
– Timing – singing songs that involve parts or rounds can allow children to pick up an understanding of musical timing, because they have to pick up on the best times to start and end their parts.
– Teacher and student bond – children will feel a lot more connected with their teachers if they sing primary school songs with them, as this will make them seem more accessible and less intimidating, thereby giving the impression that they are approachable and fun.
– Confidence – school songs for kids can help build up confidence, as each child gets the chance to sing as part of a group or even on their own.
– Brain development – research has shown improved brain development in young children who sing and are sung to, as singing stimulates the brain in various ways that are important for development.
– Language development – studies show that singing at an early age helps children to develop language better. From this, they can develop a better vocabulary as well as enhanced verbal emotion and spatial awareness.
– Expressing themselves – this is linked with the confidence aspect of school songs for kids. Children singing in a group can develop their own take on songs, and can also express themselves in a way they might not otherwise.
Are Some Songs for Children Better than Others?
A huge range of primary school songs is currently available. Their content is not necessarily the most important thing; it is the atmosphere and stimulation they provide that need to be taken into consideration and valued.
Starting out with fun songs that encourage the development of children’s confidence is a start until more educational material can be eased in.
Primary school songs are an important educational resource. Incorporating songs into your teachings about number, time and other concepts encourages your class to pick up valuable ideas, because it conveys subject matter in a fun and engaging manner.
Out of the Ark has a great range of songbooks for primary school kids containing seasonal songs, songs for nativity plays, educational songs and much more. Go to www.outoftheark.co.nz to view the full range and order online for fast delivery and great prices.