Are Human Hair Wigs Better Than Synthetic?
Synthetic Vs Real Hair Wigs
A beautiful wig can be a real confidence booster. However, with so many different options to choose from, it can be difficult to know where to start. Are human hair wigs better than synthetic or vice versa? Which kind would best suit your requirements, lifestyle and budget?
The first important point to note is that human hair wigs and synthetic wigs each have their own sets of attributes and drawbacks, and neither is necessarily ‘better’ than the other. Your choice should depend on what you want from your wig, not what advertisers are trying to sell to you.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the key differences between human hair and synthetic wigs, focussing on the pros and cons of each type so you can decide which is the best option for you.
Human Hair Wigs Pros and Cons
Benefits of human hair wigs:
- Natural sheen, texture and colour dimension
- Natural, soft and feathery feel
- Can be colour treated and styled using heat appliances in the same way as natural hair
Drawbacks of human hair wigs:
- Relatively expensive
- As with anyone’s own natural hair, regular washing and daily styling are required (although if you enjoy trying different hairstyles, you may consider this to be a benefit)
- Heat styling, colouring and repeated brushing can gradually damage human hair wigs over time, and unlike someone’s own natural hair, they will not replenish themselves. So while the split ends can be trimmed, the wig will need replacing every so often.
Top tips for choosing human hair wigs:
- Choose a colour and texture that you love to begin with so you don’t need to dye and restyle it more than is necessarily.
- Choose raw human hair over processed hair. The latter is dyed or coated with silicone, making it weaker and prone to tangling.
Synthetic Wigs Pros and Cons
Benefits of synthetic wigs:
- They don’t need to be styled and retain their colour permanently without fading
- They’re usually cheaper than human hair wigs
- The technology is improving rapidly, so for a little more money you can get a very natural looking wig
Drawbacks of synthetic wigs:
- Depending on the quality of the wig, it may not look or feel very natural. Cheaper synthetic wigs can be coarse and have an unnatural sheen.
- They are intolerant to colouring and heat, so if you like to experiment with different styles, you might find a synthetic hair wig rather restrictive. They can also melt or permanently frizz if you get too close to an open heat source.
Top tips for choosing synthetic wigs:
- Make sure you’re 100% happy with your choice in the first instance, as they cannot be dyed or restyled.
- As they’re cheaper than human hair wigs, you might wish to choose two of similar colour, length and texture, but in different styles so that you can mix things up a bit.
So what kind of wig should you choose – natural or synthetic?
- How concerned you are about your wig looking and feeling natural
- How much flexibility you would like in terms of colour and style
- Whether you are willing and able to wash and style your wig on a regular basis
- How much you want to spend
Based on the pros and cons discussed above, your answers to these questions should help you determine whether you should choose a human hair wig or a synthetic wig.
At the same time, choosing a wig is a big decision and you might wish to discuss this further before making your final choice. Simply Wigs offers a helpful, no obligation advice service, so to discuss your needs in detail, call 01484 844557, email [email protected] or contact them via Twitter.