What Are Pressure Relief Products?
The Importance of Pressure Relief Products
As the make up of society changes, then the needs of its population also changes. This can be attributed to changes in the population’s age, as an aging population is becoming a reality, as well as issues like obesity. Because of this, then there is a lot of additional strain on services such as care homes and medicine.
In order to help ease the discomfort of these patients, there are a number of pressure relief products available which can help ease the conditions of the patient and mean that those dealing with caring for them are under a little less strain.
What conditions require Pressure Relief Products?
There are a range of conditions or people who may require the use of pressure relief products, in order to help alleviate pains, or prevent complications such as pressure sores, which can lead to further difficulties. Some conditions include:
– Obesity – if a patient is struggling to move with their usual freedom, and spend long period s of time bed ridden, due to their weight, then they may require special bariatric pressure relief products, in order to deal with the additional strain on their body, as they are particularly at risk from bed sores and the complications that can follow this.
– The Elderly – as people age, they become less active and should their health deteriorate, then they may be spending more time either sat down or possibly even in bed. Because of this it is important to ensure pressure relief is used, so that bed sores and pressure sores are not a problem, and to therefore prevent further strain on care and medical professionals.
– Those Recovering From Serious Injury – for people who have been involved in a serious injury or have a debilitating condition, then they are likely to have to spend the majority of their time in a bed, and as such this is a situation where pressure relief is important, because at an already weakened state they will be susceptible to the effects of bedsores and other pressure related problems.
What Pressure Relief Products Are Available?
Pressure Relief Products are available in a range of forms, and are suited to different degrees of severity of condition. Some people may require less pressure relief than others, as they may have more mobility; or some ability to move around from bed to a chair and so on. Some products available include:
– Pressure Relief Mattresses – these are designed for those who are confined to their beds in order to prevent pressure sores forming which can over time lead to complications with serious repercussions such as blood poisoning. Active pressure relief means that pressure is handled effectively and as well as easing pain it puts the patient in a more comfortable situation.
– Pressure Relief Cushions – if a patient is spending a lot of the time sat down, but they are not bed ridden then pressure relief cushions can help reduce the risk of any complications or any problems that may arise from excessive pressure; they are also ideal for users of a wheelchair.
– Pressure relief accessories – for those who have their mobility but can still be a little frail there are a range of options available such as elbow cushions; medical fleeces and HIPs protectors which relieve pressure and also aim to minimise damage from falls.
The Importance Of Pressure Relief
Pressure relief is an important aspect to take into consideration when caring for patients, as it can help a patient’s experience of the situation, and if you manage to prevent any pressure related complications, then it means that there is less chance of long term complication and less strain on the care and medical services in the long term.